Blowout. Ponytail. Repeat. Time to throw another look into the mix! Pull your hair over one shoulder, then follow our easy instructions for double the appeal. Bonus: You’ll look amazing in profile photos, and you can show off all your stylish new earrings.
Braid of Glory
Sexy and a little edgy, it’s the hair version of a black moto jacket.
1. Distribute mousse through damp hair. Blow-dry hair smooth if it’s curly; if it’s wavy or straight, finger-tousle while drying.
2. Wrap two-inch-wide front and side sections around a 1 1/2-inch curling iron, wrapping in different directions. Then gently tug the hair to loosen the wave.
3. Create your part (make it on the right-hand side if you’re a righty, opposite for lefties—your hair will be easier to manipulate with your dominant hand), then gather a three-inch chunk of hair near the top of your ear on the parted side. Make a French braid, and secure with a clear elastic.
Fancy-shmancy events call for jewels! Tip: Rose gold—with its cool and warm tones—looks gorg on anyone.
1. Rake an anti-frizz cream into damp hair and blow-dry. Try Herbal Essences The Sleeker The Butter Hair Milk ($5, at drugstores).
2. Use a large two-inch curling iron to make waves all over, alternating the direction of the curl for fullness, says hairstylist Rodney Groves, who created all three of these looks.
3. Part hair. Holding a hair comb near the top of your ear with the jeweled side facing your scalp, insert it horizontally toward your face. Then, without removing it, flip it over and insert it back the other way to anchor it (the comb shouldn’t wiggle out). Shown above: DCNL Amber Stones Side Comb ($6, at Sally Beauty).
Work, brunch, meeting his family: This twist works anytime you need simple sophistication.
1. Spritz a body-boosting spray through damp hair, paying extra attention to roots. Try Oribe Volumista Mist for Volume ($39, oribe.com).
2. Blow-dry hair smooth using a boar-bristle brush.
3. Make your part, then grab a half-inch section on the side of your part near your ear and twist two to three inches to the back of your head. Crisscross two bobby pins there to secure, then conceal the pins by layering the rest of your hair over them.
For more get-gorgeous hair and beauty tips, check out the January/February issue of Women’s Health, on newsstands now.
More from Women’s Health:
9 Bold New Earrings You’ll Love
14 Head-Turning Celeb Hair Transformations from 2014
A No-Fail Guide to the Smoky Eye