If there were ever a staple of “comfort food,” macaroni and cheese would be it! In addition to my standpoint that it is completely delicious, there is something honestly comforting about eating it. It’s perhaps a combination of the warmth, thickness, heartiness, cheesiness … do I need to continue? Well, the downside to this is that it’s often loaded with calories, carbs and fat. The good news is that I have created a version using spaghetti squash instead of macaroni. Right now, does my Spaghetti Squash Macaroni and Cheese taste as amazing as the original? I’ll leave that up to you, however it curbs my cravings definitely. Plus, I feel 100 times better about eating this— and I hope you will, too. Enjoy!
SPAGHETTI SQUASH MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 TB light butter (or you can use an additional tsp. olive oil)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 TB chives, chopped (plus extra for garnish if you wish)
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free broth (veggie or chicken)salt and coarse, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 TB shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Spray the center of both halves of the squash with cooking spray, and place cut side up on a cookie sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 1 hour. Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells. Keep oven on.
3. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and chives and cook approximately 2 minutes. Stir in cornstarch. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continuously for about 5 minutes.
4. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick— about 2-3 minutes of stirring.
5. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and mix well until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked spaghetti squash and pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle extra Parmesan cheese on top (optional). Bake until bubbly and golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Garnish with additional chopped chives (optional). Enjoy!
If you hope to obtain more attention about woman,you ought to keep in touch with us.