Chronic pain bugs more than half of the population of United States. They spend billions every year on vitamins, supplements, tai-chi and yoga therapies only to lessen the pain.
What doctors think
Doctor David C. Leopold’s (MD) observation on this problem made him conclude “I think supplements can be the cornerstone of good pain management…”
It wasn’t an exaggerated statement considering the effectiveness of the supplements. “People are also looking to supplements more and more. They have less tolerance for the side effects of traditional pain medications. They want something different.” He added.
Not only Dr. David, but other doctors also discourage the use of medicines for pain relief because of the possible side effects. They recommend natural treatment instead, which is 100% safe and effective.
Some of the potent anti-inflammatory herbs are:
- Jamaican allspice
How they reduce inflammation
Organic oregano oil offers relief from pain and inflammation. The oil is rich in carvacrol, terpenes, and flavonoids. All these components are highly effective in minimizing histamine and decongestants, thereby alleviating the common cold, allergy and resulting sneezing.
Turmeric contains medicinal properties. Curcumin in turmeric carries anti-inflammatory properties, which is why, regular intake of turmeric can offer relief from pain and inflammation. As for basil and cilantro, their anti-inflammatory properties can ease the swelling of the joints and relieve pain.
Herbs and plants are not the only calls for help when you need relief from pain and inflammation. Non-vegetarian food can also give you a break from the pain. But most non-veg foods are inflammatory, which means you need to identify the right food.
Fish oil is quite beneficial for the treatment of a range of health conditions. Such health conditions are cardiovascular abnormalities, depression, asthma, chronic pain and inflammation. It is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which helps our bodies stay healthy.
There are many other sources that help fight pain and inflammation. Some of them are:
- Capsaicin: Topical capsaicin is very useful in giving relief from pain. It comes from chili peppers. The best way to take it is apply it to the skin. Capsaicin is useful for relieving pain that occurs from psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, etc.
- Alpha lipoic acid: Its functionalities are similar to acetyl-L-carnitine. Alpha lipoic acid is useful for a special type of inflammation, which is caused by nerve injuries. Research done in recent time has revealed its usefulness for treating nerve injuries. Alpha lipoic acid is found in broccoli, spinach, peas sprouts, etc.
- Magnesium: Experts don’t widely acknowledge magnesium for its anti-inflammatory properties, which recent studies are exploring. Such studies have found magnesium gives relief from muscle spasms, migraines, fibromyalgia, etc. The effects of magnesium in patients of chronic pain have been astoundingly successful.
- Methylsulfonylmethane: It’s a chemical compound that generates naturally in specific plants and animals. Research done in this area shows the compound can reduce the pain that is caused by osteoarthritis. The compound is solid in dietary supplements.
There’s no alternative to a healthy lifestyle. But most of us can’t maintain it. In order to live a healthy life, we need to stay away from
- Addictive substances: Addiction to drug and alcohol can disrupt our body’s normal functioning, and make them vulnerable to pain, inflammation and many other health related hazards. Drugs can damage our nerves causing neuropathic inflammation. So refrain from taking addictive substances.
- Meat intake: Lower your intake of meat if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Studies have discovered a correlation between the intake of red meat and inflammation in various parts of the body.
Chronic pain is recursive
The bad news is chronic pain is a recursive problem. The problem may disappear if you follow a proper diet and take natural anti inflammatory supplements. But, after a while, if you again go back to an unhealthy lifestyle or stop taking the supplements, then the pain and inflammation may recur.
So take the supplements, follow what doctors prescribe and stay safe.