Last year, the Women’s Health Top Beauty Instagrammer contest brought in thousands of submissions from makeup- and hair-obsessed Insta-stars around the country. After sorting though every single amazing feed, we narrowed it down to one beauty guru who seriously impressed us. Jordan Smith, 24, lives and breathes beauty, approaches it from a healthy and fresh angle, and loves sharing her tips and looks with others. So for the rest of the summer, Jordan will be guest beauty blogging for WomensHealthMag.com. Check out her first post below, and follow her @JordanLinnaSmith, too!
Hello, summer! I’ve always felt that this season’s vibe is easy-going, carefree, and romantic…and I love when my makeup reflects that. With that in mind, I created the simple, easy, melt-proof, date-night look pictured here. Read on!
1. First, it’s crucial to keep up with a good skin-care routine. Start off with a hydrator like Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer Cream ($7, drugstore.com) to keep skin soft and protected. (For daytime, make sure it’s the formula with sunscreen.)
RELATED: Hats Don’t Protect You from the Sun As Well As You May Think
2. Next, use a primer like Hourglass Veil ($52, sephora.com), which is an oil-free mineral formula that reduces redness, helps minimize pores and fine lines, and helps foundation look fresh all day.
3. Now’s not the time for a heavy foundation–swap yours for a lighter BB cream instead to even out skin tone. I like NYX BB Cream ($13, ulta.com). Top it all off with a translucent powder like Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear Face Powder ($14, ulta.com) in translucent—I love this because it controls shine but lets the skin breathe.
4. Then add a pop of color on the apples of the cheeks–NARS Blush in Orgasm ($30, sephora.com) is tried and true and will enhance your natural, summertime glow. Next, do a superlight dusting of bronzer on your forehead, under the cheekbones, and on the jawline for a little contouring action.
RELATED: The Right Way to Apply Cream Blush
5. Create bright, subtly standout eyes by dusting a neutral, mid-toned tan or beige shade (just use your skin tone as a guide!) in the crease for dimension. Then, place a paler neutral shade on the lid and a highlight in the inner corner along with the brow bone.
6. Lashes are up next! To make them look thicker, line your top and bottom lash line with a black, smudge-proof liner like Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Stingray ($20, sephora.com). This tight-lining method is my favorite for creating the illusion of fuller lashes. Finally, coat your lashes with waterproof black mascara, which separates and builds, like L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara ($6, target.com). I added false lashes for my photo here, but you can get an equally bold look by adding a few more coats of mascara.
RELATED: 5 Mascara Mistakes You’re Probably Making (and What to Do Instead)
7. I’m not a fan of heavy lipsticks in the summer because they can get cakey and creasy. To perfect your pout and enhance your lips’ shape without the hassle (or mess!), simply line and fill in your lips with a pinky-nude pencil close to your lip color. Then, top it with a shimmery gloss like Buxom Full-on Lip Polish in Crushed Diamonds ($19, sephora.com). Set the look by spritzing your entire face with Urban Decay Oil-Control de-Slick Makeup Setting Spray ($30, urbandecay.com). It’s as easy as that!